Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Generic's Management by Manipulation
LinkedIn ran two pieces on bad bosses. Together they nailed the horrific boss, one our staff suffered under for years. One article identified:
1. The boss lies for personal gain or to discredit others.
2. They're envious of subordinates, peers and higher ups.
3. Their promises are repeatedly empty.
4. They blame others to mask their shortcomings.
5. They fail to manage conflict and bad behavior.
6. They send their team into harm's way at the whim of top management
The other cited:
7. They have others fire their direct reports
8. They make a decision in private and fail to protect their people in public if it doesn't work.
9. They tell people in private what they believe the subordinate wants to hear. Such inconsistent messaging is an attempt to control people by manipulation.
10. They will not have face-to-face meetings to resolve conflict.
11. They slip in a negative comment about another co-worker in every conversation.
12. They don't allow people to get to know them and they don't invest time getting to know their people. Everything is shallow and image focused. Relationship depth is non-existent.
Given what you've shared in the past about Gentiva I bet this hits aspects of your branch manager. I am interested in your thoughts and reactions.